Skip to main content

National Organisations

Contact Provides information and advice on any aspect of caring for a disabled child, including education and benefits. 

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) This can be claimed for children who have additional care needs or difficulty with walking which are caused by a disability or health condition. DLA is a non-diagnosis specific benefit, so not having a diagnosis does not mean you cannot claim DLA if your child has significant additional needs. To apply for DLA you will need to complete a detailed application form. Filling in this form can be difficult for a parent, but someone at your nearest Citizens Advice might be able to sit with you and help.

Carer’s allowance This can be claimed if you care for someone for at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits.

The Family Fund Provides grants for families raising disabled or seriously ill children and young people. 

Adoption support fund Local authorities and regional adoption agencies can apply for therapeutic funding for eligible adoptive and special guardianship order families. Families apply to the relevant local authority or regional adoption agency which will assess their needs.

Our Sheffield Children’s Family Wellbeing resource has lots of information about local and national organisations to support your finances, mental health and community involvement. 

    [0] => Array
            [message] => You currently have access to a subset of Twitter API v2 endpoints and limited v1.1 endpoints (e.g. media post, oauth) only. If you need access to this endpoint, you may need a different access level. You can learn more here:
            [code] => 453


By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.