Skip to main content

ADHD – Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Ryegate garden

Children with ADHD

What is ADHD?

What is ADHD?

What is attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)? ADHD is...

It is known that one per cent of school age population have severe ADHD. Those with severe conduct disorder, oppositional defiant disorder or major family breakdown should be referred to CAMHS for assessment and treatment.

However at least 50 per cent will have developmental comorbidities including Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD), Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), Language Disorder or General or Specific Learning Difficulties. These benefit from Child Development services.

Assessment and management

Initial assessment interview is followed by information collection from home and school which may include a school observation by a specialist Nurse.

We also arrange access to group and individual behaviour management sessions covering ADHD, parenting skills for a child with attentional problems and anger management.

Follow up clinics discuss whether or not the child or young person has ADHD and other difficulties and how these can be managed at home and school. Evidence-based management also includes the use of medication in some cases.

Who is involved

Our clinics monitor medication and some of the review clinics are nurse-led.

GPs are involved in Shared Care protocols to provide review if the child/young person is stable on medication. Clinical Psychology may be involved in cognitive assessment, behaviour management and assessment of comorbidity.

We also involve Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy as needed for DCD and speech and language therapy if language difficulties are likely.

We liaise with schools and other education services and with social services when needed.


Parents: How do I request a referral for an ADHD assessment?

If you feel your child may have ADHD and you would like a referral, please speak to your GP. We now have a single point of access for all autism and ADHD referrals, to help us ensure you see the right team. Take a look at this flyer for more information. As part of the referral process we will contact you to complete a questionnaire about your child. We can provide support with this if you need it.

Professionals: How do I request a referral for an ADHD assessment?

Referring professionals will need to complete the referral front sheet and submit it with a clinic letter outlining the main reasons for referral (see forms and guidance below). GP’s should send this via ERS and other external and internal professionals should send referrals direct to Ryegate Appointments (  Once received and being processed the single point of access (SPA) will organise the collation of the relevant questionnaires with parents and schools.


We have a strong interest in ADHD research including the use of medication and long term outcomes.

You might also be interested in...

    [0] => Array
            [message] => You currently have access to a subset of Twitter API v2 endpoints and limited v1.1 endpoints (e.g. media post, oauth) only. If you need access to this endpoint, you may need a different access level. You can learn more here:
            [code] => 453


By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.